Today we announced the bracket for our 2008 Local Groups contest, showcasing 37 great gay sports teams and leagues around the world. We tried giving some storylines to the first couple rounds, creating potentially “interesting” matchups. Some we finally settled on:
- There are two matchups featuring teams from the same city: The Phoenix swimming and hockey groups in the first round; and the Toronto soccer and ballroom dancing groups in the second round.
- There is one matchup pitting two teams from the same sport in the second round: The Cardiff Dragons from Wales and the D.C. Federal Triangles are both soccer teams.
- The Navratilova bracket features what we call the “Bingham matchup” between the San Francisco Fog rugby group that Mark Bingham was a big part of and Cheer New York, where Mark was heading back from on that tragic day.
- In the Amaechi division, a second-round matchup features two of the oldest groups in the contest: The Southern New England Friendship Softball League (1978) against San Francisco Track & Field (1982).
- The Tuaolo division features our two entrants in the “adventure sport” category: The Ski Bums of New York vs. the Rainbow Divers of Northern California.
- The top half of the Kopay Division features five teams, four of which are from the Midwest.
- The bottom half of the Kopay Division could be intriguing, as a third-round matchup could be a re-enactment of the Patriots-Jets border feud between the New York and Boston gay football groups; Or it could be an all-L.A. matchup with the Grunions swim team against Lambda basketball.
Voting starts Thursday, March 5. Check back then to weigh in on the first round.