Phoenix Mercury rookie Brittney Griner has lead the WNBA in jersey sales since the start of the 2013 season, according to the League. Griner was the No. 1 pick in the WNBA Draft in April and came out publicly shortly after. Out Minnesota Lynx player Seimone Augustus is also on the list, at No. 7.
Griner wears No. 42 in honor of Major League Baseball's first black player, Jackie Robinson.
Both Griner and Augustus will be starters for the Western Conference in the WNBA All-Star game on July 27.
For years we've heard one of the hurdles to pro athletes coming out is the fear that they'll lose money and business opportunities. This year we've seen the jersey sales of both Griner and Jason Collins soar after they came out publicly.
The top 10 WNBA jerseys sales so far this season are:
1. Brittney Griner - Phoenix Mercury
2. Skylar Diggins - Tulsa Shock
3. Elena Delle Donne - Chicago Sky
4. Maya Moore - Minnesota Lynx
5. Candace Parker - Los Angeles Sparks
6. Diana Taurasi - Phoenix Mercury
7. Seimone Augustus - Minnesota Lynx
8. Tamika Catchings - Indiana Fever
9. Nneka Ogwumlke - Los Angeles Spark
10. Becky Hammon - San Antonio Silver Stars