After the first half of 2013, many said this would be the transformational year for LGBT issues in sports. Big names like Jason Collins and Brittney Griner had come out. Robbie Rogers played as an openly gay man in a Major League Soccer game. Athletes from all of our big sports leagues were voicing support for gay athletes.
Yet the second half of the year hasn't produced the same big headlines. Sure, we've talked a lot about LGBT rights in Russia, but the big headlines of athletes coming out haven't come to fruition.
How big of a year for LGBT sports will 2013 have been, when all is said and done? And what could happen in the final two months of the year to take 2013 over the top?
More from Outsports:
- College diver comes out of the closet, goes back in and comes out again for good
- The NFL at midseason: Go figure
- Cristiano Ronaldo models his new line of underwear
- Campus Pride Voice & Action Athlete Award set to recognize leadership
- Diver Jordan Windle writes children's book with one of his two dads
- Charles Barkley: Players would be cool with Jason Collins in the NBA
- For college football fans, every Saturday is Halloween