The University of North Carolina athletic teams has released a terrific video for the You Can Play Project. It has the most diverse group of sports and athletes of any of these I've seen. Especially notable are the appearances of J.P. Tokoto and Nate Britt from men's basketball and football players Shakeel Rashad, Allen Champagne, Jon Heck and Jarrod James.
"It is important for all LGBT students athletes to be accepted by the people they spend most of their time with," Britt says in the video.
There has never been an openly gay major college men's basketball or football player, so it was important that UNC included athletes from those sports. It's also important to see so many female athletes involved since we need more female allies in sports. This video is the very definition of inclusive.
- Like it or not, LGBT rights won't get special treatment from the IOC
- Vancouver sending gay councillor Tim Stevenson to Sochi Olympics as city's rep
- Kansas City sportscaster denies he said 'Gayhawks' during broadcast
- Three gay former Temple gymnasts plead for university to not drop sport
- Uprising of Love launches with celebrities to support LGBT rights in Russia
- Towleroad's list of 53 powerful coming outs includes almost a dozen from sports
- The Swimmer Calendar is something to behold
- Video: Swedish wrestlers wrestle naked covered in frosting to urge HIV testing
- Croatia water polo hopes to attract new fans with calendar
- Gay sports news: 5% of U.S. men are gay, study says; Tom Daley says it was love at first sight