When Cyd and I compiled the list of 62 gay-supportive NFL players, one thing that we noticed was that it would make a great fantasy football team. We're set at every position except kicker. It seems odd that we can't find evidence of a kicker saying something pro-gay save for Shayne Graham, who is currently a free agent. Maybe no one bothers to ask kickers.
During the season, we will announce our fantasy starters each week to see how they would stack up. We will use standard scoring of 1 point for every 10 yards rushing or receiving; 1 for every 20 yards passing; 6 points for a run/pass TD, 4 for a QB passing TD, plus standard bonuses.
We will start one quarterback; two running backs; three wide receivers; one tight end; one kicker and one defense/special teams. For the latter, we will use San Francisco since many of their defenders have been supportive.
Here is who we can pick from each week, with our Week 1 starters in bold.
Andrew Luck (Colts)
Robert Griffin III (Redskins)
Carson Palmer (Cardinals)
Frank Gore (49ers)
Doug Martin (Buccaneers)
Stepfan Taylor (Cardinals)
Giovani Bernard (Bengals)
Trent Richardson (Browns)
Taiwan Jones (Raiders)
LaMichael James (49ers)
Vernon Davis (49ers)
Coby Fleener (Colts)
Rob Gronkowski (Patriots)
Delanie Walker (Titans)
Defense/Special Teams (each has 2+ players on our list)
Let us know in the comments who you would start.
More from Outsports:
- Muscular soccer player has body painted as part of anatomy class
- Jared Max leaves ESPN Radio in New York
- 62 active NFL players who have made statements in support of gays
- Gay Softball World Series provides excitement and memories in DC
- Olympic speedskater Anastasia Bucsis comes out in response to Russia's anti-gay laws
- NFL preview: Examining every game on the schedule helps predict the coming season
- What do you think of Tom Brady's new UGG ad?
- Podcast: Supporting Blake Skjellerup. Can Stanford stop Alabama's run?
- 'Brian Burke saved my life.' A gay hockey player and fan tells about the catalyst for his coming out
- Ben Cohen to appear on Britain's version of 'Dancing with the Stars'