Willamette University football kicker Conner Mertens came out publicly as bisexual on Tuesday. He was welcomed warmly by his entire team and coaching staff. While it seems impossible that it took until 2014, he is the first active college football player to come out publicly as either gay or bisexual.
He joined Outsports' Cyd Zeigler to talk about his coming out, playing football and his faith. Wade Davis from the You Can Play project, who was with the team when most of them first learned that Conner is bisexual, joined us.
Here's our discussion:
- Willamette University fully supports out football player Conner Mertens
- College football player Conner Mertens comes out publicly.
- Conner Mertens came out to his college football team last night. Now he comes out publicly.
- Denver Broncos player brings up showers when discussing acceptance of gay NFL players
- Former New Zealand pro rugby player said life in the closet was suffocating
- What Olympic figure skating will look like if Putin can ban all the gay
- Jason Collins invited by the White House to sit in the First Lady's box for the State of the Union address