We at Outsports are thrilled to be nominated for a GLAAD Media Award for the story of former Middle Tennessee State kicker Alan Gendreau, who came out publicly on Outsports last April. The piece drew national attention and featured a longform article by Cyd Zeigler and video masterfully produced by our parent company, SB Nation.
This is the third GLAAD Media Award nomination for us, though we're still on track to match Susan Lucci's Emmy losses. Ha. We've garnered past nominations for our stories on out college football captain (and eventual state legislator) Brian Sims and college wrestler (and eventual Athlete Ally founder) Hudson Taylor.
Sports were well-represented by the nominations this year. All told, nine nominations related to sports -- As far as we can tell, that's the most ever.
Drop Dead Diva was again nominated for an award, this time for its episode on a gay professional baseball player, "Secret Lives." Cyd was a consultant on the episode. It's up against USA Network's Necessary Roughness for its episode on a gay pro football player.
- ESPN's Kate Fagan was nominated for her powerful story on Brittney Griner. Oprah Winfrey was nominated for her conversation with Jason Collins. Other sports-related nominations:
- ESPN for a story on Denver Nugget Kenneth Fareid
- ABC for a story on trans soccer player Jazz
- Sports Illustrated and Loretta Hunt for their article on Fallon Fox
- ESPN The Magazine for Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage
Congratulations to all the nominees, and thanks to GLAAD for making sports a centerpiece of the nominations!