Outsports is counting down its 30 most-read stories of 2014. And less than half are coming-out stories.
After we started the countdown we had an unexpected hit with this beautiful story that within 48 hours became our most-read story of 2014:
Gay W. Virginia high school soccer player comes out by dancing with homecoming king
Michael Martin, an all-state goalie, slow danced with the guy who gave him the courage to be himself. Inspired by Robbie Rogers, Martin now hopes to inspire others.
Before we started the countdown in early December, these were the top 30 stories...
1) Out speedskater Ireen Wüst wins Olympic gold medal
Wüst, a Dutch star, wins her third career gold by taking the 3,000 meters.
2) Michael Sam's NFL snub already at historic level
Every big-time conference Defensive Player of the Year drafted since 2000 - from the ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12 and SEC - has made an active NFL roster his rookie season ... until Michael Sam came out as gay.
3) Cockocracy: Size matters in the locker room, researcher finds
Interviews with British athletes confirm what we all know -- guys look and compare, and the bigger the better.
4) Mark Sanchez eats a racist cheesesteak after beating the Panthers
Sanchez promises to go to Geno's and Pat's if the Eagles win, and he sticks to his word - even if it means supporting a racist, xenophobic business.
5) Conner Mertens came out to his college football team. Now he comes out publicly.
A place kicker at Willamette University in Oregon, Mertens came out as bisexual to his team. He now comes out publicly in hopes of inspiring other LGBT athletes to come out and be true to themselves.
6) 'The eagle has landed'
The exclusive behind-the-scenes story of how NFL prospect Michael Sam came out.
7) Tom Brady's last stand
While the Patriots' offensive woes aren't all on Tom Brady, his $1 million replacement will get his shot sooner than you think.
8) Is Aaron Rodgers gay? When speculation becomes problematic.
Innocent speculation is one thing, but the attempted outing last week of Packers QB Aaron Rodgers does all harm and no good.
9) Eric Radford: Olympic figure skater, medal-winning family man. And gay.
Eric Radford has an Olympic silver medal in figure skating. Now he aims for a gold medal in 2018 - with his skating partner Meagan Duhamel - as an openly gay man with his "gay family" at home.
10) MLB umpire Dale Scott comes out as gay in quietest way possible
A photo with his husband in a small magazine was his first public acknowledgment. "I am extremely grateful that Major League Baseball has always judged me on my work and nothing else," he says.
11) Exclusive: See Ben Cohen's first-ever centerfold in his 2015 calendar
Ben Cohen's 2015 calendar is here, this time with a centerfold. Check it the exclusive photo below.
12) What happened when a gay coach in Iowa came out to his homophobic friends?
Evan Risk is a jr. high school track & cross-country coach in rural Iowa. When his friend talked about killing the queers at an Iowa basketball game, he knew he had to come out to him.
13) 'Mom, I'm gay.' For college swimmer, coming out to his religious mother was the hardest part.
Coming out to his teammates at the University of Virginia was easy for Parker Camp compared to his family. The result was unconditional love and a burden lifted. "We are the definition of a modern family," his brother said.
14) Gross. Disgusting. Weird. Watching NFL players kiss wives, girlfriends
My problem with straight athletes kissing their girlfriends.
15) Vulgar Michael Sam sign shows up on ESPN's College GameDay
"Michael Sam couldn't even handle dem Cocks," says the sign.
16) College baseball player Matt Kaplon came out as gay to his team Sunday after years of struggle
"It's one of the best things he's ever done because it's made us closer friends," said a teammate on the Drew University baseball team. "It doesn't change a thing."