NFL commissioner Roger Goodell today spoke. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello posted the comments in a tweet:
Good for him. He's proud of who he is & had the courage to say it. Now he wants to play football. We have a policy prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation. We will have further training & make sure that everyone understands our commitment. We truly believe in diversity & this is an opportunity to demonstrate it.
Goodell has a gay brother, who has called Sam a "hero."
- Former Nebraska kicker Eric Lueshen was openly gay while on the team
- Ryan in Russia: Rainbows near Sochi, and explaining football to Russians
- Gay football player reveals what showering with teammates is really like
- Terrell Thomas doesn't want a gay teammate because someone might ask him questions
- Russia, sport and transgender & intersex issues
- The eight teams best suited for Michael Sam
- Michael Sam wore rainbow pride bracelet during games with Missouri last season