The Seattle Seahawks decision to throw the ball from the 1-yard-line -- instead of running it with Marshawn Lynch -- blew up in their face when the ball was intercepted and the New England Patriots won the Super Bowl.
It was easily the single worst call in Super Bowl history, and goes down in the long list of great bonehead moves by mankind. Here are seven that rival it:
- Coke introduces "New Coke" in 1985, sales plummet and the company pulls the plug. It's an all-timer in marketing failures.
- Russia sells Alaska to the U.S. in 1867 for $7.2 million. Within five decades, the U.S. had earned back 100 times the purchase price.
- Roseanne Barr butchers the National Anthem in 1990 at a Padres game. It's not good when the best part was her grabbing her crotch and spitting on the pitcher's mound.
- The movie "Ishtar" is released in 1987 and nearly torpedoes the careers of Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty. It becomes synonymous with box-office flop.
- Newscorp buys MySpace in 2005 for $580 million. It sold it for $35 million six years later.
- Britney Spears decides to marry childhood friend Jason Alexander in Las Vegas in 2004. The marriage lasts 55 hours.
- Ford releases the Edsel in 1958 and the car totally bombs. Edsel quickly enters the lexicon as something that's a fiasco.
Feel free to add to the list.