Seth Dunlap, the former WWL New Orleans radio host who was fired amid an investigation into a homophobic tweet that targeted him, broke his self-imposed silence early Tuesday.
In a thread of tweets posted in the hours before dawn, Dunlap told those who believe the accusations against him levied by WWL Radio and its parent company, Entercom, “shame on you.”
He stated that he has “remained quiet for years” about anti-gay harassment out of “fear of retribution.” And he declared that after being fired, “No longer am I afraid.”
If you believed anything said by a company with billions in assets, unchecked media access, & multiple direct connections to local law enforcement...then shame on you. I remained quiet for years for fear of retribution. Retribution came. No longer am I afraid.— Seth Dunlap (@sethdunlap) December 17, 2019
In addition, Dunlap claimed there are “multiple recordings” that support his claim of rampant “homophobia, racism and misogyny” at WWL. Dunlap, for the record, is white and a man, but claims that he was a target of harassment for being gay, long before he came out publicly on social media.
Following that revelation in September, Dunlap asked his Twitter followers about a Saints win over the Texans: “Which of these 5 ‘overreactions’ isn’t actually an overreaction? You tell me...”
And someone used the station Twitter account to tell Dunlap, “That you’re a fag.”
Following an internal investigation, WWL and Entercom fired Dunlap, accused him of sending that tweet, claimed he tried to extort the media company for $1.8 million, and turned over what it said was evidence proving that allegation to New Orleans Police.
What Dunlap did not mention in his tweet early Tuesday is that, so far, he has not been charged with any crime. Not in a court of law, at least; mainstream media reports, however, have leaned heavily toward convicting him in the court of public opinion.
In his tweets Tuesday, Dunlap vowed to say more, and offered to be a conduit for others who feel they are victims of anti-gay harassment.
“Over the next weeks and months I hope to share not only my story but, more importantly, the stories of others. What I went through publicly goes on every day to countless other people who get no media coverage, nor no resources they can fall back on.”
Dunlap offered to listen to anyone in that position and also referred followers to GLAAD, the Trevor Project and HRC.
The @glaad, @TrevorProject, and @HRC are just a few of the great organizations working to promote equality that you should support and, if needed, reach out to. My DM’s are also open for anybody who needs an ear or would like to share their story. ✌️❤️— Seth Dunlap (@sethdunlap) December 17, 2019
However, those who have responded publicly to Dunlap’s tweets universally attacked him, calling him “guilty as hell,” comparing him to Jussie Smollett and noting that his tweets followed Drew Brees’ record-breaking performance in the Monday Night Football blowout of the Colts.
It was an open letter to Saints quarterback Brees Dunlap posted on Facebook in September that started all this. It was about a video Brees recorded for Focus on the Family. The anti-LGBT group enlisted the QB to encourage children to take their bibles to school.
“I am a gay man who has worked nearly two decades in the sports media industry,” Dunlap wrote in that first public statement about his sexuality. “My personal experience, not headlines or Twitter innuendo, caused me to recoil at your initial video, and become even further flummoxed at your response today.” Dunlap called Brees’ words “incredibly hurtful” and “emotionally debilitating.”
That same day, Dunlap tweeted a link to his open letter and identified himself as “an openly gay man.”
Outsports reached out to Dunlap for further comment following Tuesday’s tweets, but did not receive a response as of press time.
Contact or follow Seth Dunlap via Twitter by clicking here.