Former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Kordell Stewart says he's not gay. Stewart, who faced gay rumors for years with the Steelers in the 1990s, was responding to a promo clip for Bravo's "Real Housewives of Atlanta," where his estranged wife Porsha is a cast member.
"Kordell didn't necessarily want me physically, and that made me wonder what does he want," Porsha Stewart, 31, said in the clip. This prompted Stewart, 40, to say Porsha was creating news to get attention and he issued a statement:
"I'm very ashamed of my wife for saying something that she knows is not true at all. The rumors have never been true. I'm not gay," he said. "It is sad that she would target the homosexual community which often times lacks support to begin with."
Less than a year ago, Porsha was signing a different tune about Kordell:
"One thing I do know is that my husband loves me and he puts it down and I will be with him forever," she said in a December interview on Power 105.1. "And you know what? He's more man to me than I have ever met. So for me gay is just out of the window."
The rumors about Stewart being gay were so rampant in Pittsburgh in the late 1990s, that Stewart stood up in front of the team to deny them. He also met with then coach Bill Cowher and team president Dan Rooney.
Since retiring, Stewart has had several media jobs, including ESPN, and is a radio host in Atlanta.
More from Outsports:
- Blake Skjellerup on track at the speed skating World Cup
- Kordell Stewart says again that he is not gay
- Finding the word of God: Gay Christian athlete Josh Sanders on his search for the truth
- Orlando Cruz prepares for championship bout
- Jason Collins still unsigned a week before NBA training camps start
- My ALS story: Outsports reader Mark Kari reveals he has been diagnosed with the incurable disease
- Four Burgess Brothers on same rugby team and in the surf