Day 2 was really the first day of full competition with medals being awarded. The biggest story was Ryan Lochte winning the gold in the 400-meter IM, while Michael Phelps finished out of the money.
Men's team gymnastics started with the U.S. on top after Day 1, with the final set for Monday. American Danell Leyva finished first in the individual all-around.
Check out our favorite images from Day 2, including open lesbian women's basketball player Seimone Augustus.
Click image for larger view (and click a second time for an even larger view).
Photo credits and captions:
- Yang Sun of China celebrates after winning the men's 400m freestyle finals. (Rob Schumacher-USA Today Sports)
- Arianna Errigo of Italy reacts to winning the women's foil individual semifinals. (Richard Mackson-USA Today Sports)
- USA forward Seimone Augustus (5) shoots the ball against Croatia. (Photo by: Kyle Terada-USA Today Sports)
- Team USA forward Abby Wambach (14) hits a header as she is defended by Columbia goalie Sandra Sepulveda (18) and Nataly Arias (5). (Photo by: Matt Kryger-USA Today Sports)
- Team USA men's eight crewmen Giuseppe Lanzon , Stephen Kasprzyk and Jacob Cornelius row against during heat 1 of the men's eight at Eton Dorney. (Photo by: John David Mercer-USA Today Sports)
- Michael Phelps (USA) stretches before a men's 400m individual medley heat. (Photo by: Rob Schumacher-USA Today Sports)
- Joshua Binstock of Canada dives for the ball during the Men's Beach Volleyball Preliminary Round. (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)
- Ryan Lochte of the United States reacts after he won the Final of the Men's 400m Individual Medley. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
- Thomas Peszek and Silas Stafford of the United States compete in the Men's Pair Heats. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
- Kohei Uchimura (Japan) competes on the parallel bars. (Photo by: Robert Deutsch-USA Today Sports)
- Danell Leyva (USA) competes on the floor and on the rings. (Photos by: Robert Deutsch-USA Today Sports)
- Jake Dalton (USA) competes on the rings and on the vault. (Photos by: Robert Deutsch-USA Today Sports)
- Jonathan Horton (USA) reacts after a high bar routine. (Photo by: Robert Deutsch-USA Today Sports)
- John Orozco (USA) competes on the rings. (Photo by: Robert Deutsch-USA Today Sports)
- Sam Mikulak (USA) reacts after a great vault. (Photo by: Robert Deutsch-USA Today Sports)
- Kristian Thomas of Great Britain performs on the parallel bars. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
- Sebastian Krimmer of Germany competes in the parallel bars. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
- Tommy Ramos of Puerto Rico duirng team qualification. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
- Fabian Hambuchen of Germany drinks water after the horizontal bars. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
- United States outside hitter Jordan Larson (10), middle blocker Foluke Akirnradewo (16) and libero Nicole Davis (6) celebrate during womens preliminary volleyball match against South Korea at Earls Court. The United States defeated South Korea 25-19, 25-17, 20-25, 25-21.(Photo by: Kirby Lee-USA Today Sports)