Empire Sports News, which publishes fake news ala the Onion, has gotten more than a million page views and almost 1,000 comments after running an article entitled "Jeff Gordon And Stephen Rhodes Confirm Homosexual Relationship; NASCAR Fans Outraged."
Rhodes is gay, but Gordon is married to a woman and has two children, and it took me about 10 seconds to realize it's a spoof. I looked into it when I saw that an Outsports article on Rhodes from last summer was getting a lot of traffic, unusual for a story that old. That's when I stumbled across the Empire Sports article.
The best part is in the comments section, where many people took it as the truth (some did see it for the fake it was). What was most interesting is that the preponderance of people who did believe the article had no problem with Gordon and Rhodes being a couple, so that's progress in a weird way. Some examples:
- who the hell cares,everyone lives their life however they choose,nobody cares how you lives your so don't make it your business how other lives their...And the #24 car don't care about Jeff life style...lol
- Oh so everyone from the south must be fucking their brothers and shit...man fuck you...im from the south and my family tree happens to fork you homophobic dipshit...i pray you get ass raped with a giant dildo and you like it.......kudos jeff for comin out..
- I knew Gordon was gay the day Patrick showed up. he knows there's only room for 1 queen and he is fighting tooth and nail for that title
- All I see is a bunch of grown ass adults acting like a bunch of drama packed bitches!!!!!!!! Yeah, all you who is commenting and bitching about something that has nothing to do with any one of ya! Dumbasses!!!!!
- WTF is wrong with people??? Who they love and have in their bed/home isn't anybody's business but their own... Why the fuck do people have to be so ignorant? Have an idea for ya... MIND YOUR OWN FUCKIN BUSINESS!!!!!!!
- I agree it is not anyone's business but their own and they should keep it that way too.
- He always flew a rainbow flag, why is this such a surprise. Let the man love who he loves and screw who he screws. It is nobodies business but theirs.
- ok, So what if he is a Gay Nascar Driver..... For one, That dont make him any less of a person. For Two, that dont make him any less of a driver. Its not my place to critize him for his choice of living. I say, "Rock on with your bad self, Jeff!"
- That's bullshit fuck gay people! Build an island for them and let them be! Let's see how long it lasts.
- Ya us fags actually have balls and fight for your freedom. I should know ive been in two combat zones! So you go live on that island...
- Well good for him. I don't really give a crap. People worry too damn much about other peoples business. Be happy Jeff & be yourself.
- Y'all blow my mind. I don't know if this story is true or not and I don't really care what this mans sexual preference is because it is none of my business. It has nothing to do with the way this man does his job. I am not a fan of nascar or football or basketball and i really do not care who is gay or not. It useed to be when folks saw an interracial couple they would have a hissy fit and now it is gay folks. grow up and learn to accept people for who they are and not who they love.
- Who cares ~ So what ~ I would prefer that he keeps winning ~ besides that it is his life ~ not mine ♥
- I always knew just could tell Jeff was gay but there us nothing wrong with having gay people in all sports
- I don't care if he is or not, I have always been a Gordon fan, and yes I'm gay and damn proud of it. Whatever makes him happy 'hell go for it Jeff"
- Who cares its his life no one else!! He still a great driver and a great person. So he deserves the right to be happy and live his life
- Who cares? There are too many important issues in our country to worry about. If this is the life that he and Steven or any homosexual person wants to live we were not put here to judge. Let them do what they wish as long as they aren't bother you then leave it alone.