Seth Dunlap hasn’t been on the air at WWL Radio in New Orleans since taking a leave of absence in mid-September, but now it turns out he won’t be coming back. The station fired the out gay radio host on Thursday, amid a police investigation into a homophobic tweet targeting Dunlap sent from WWL’s official account, according to nola.com.
Dunlap’s lawyer declined to comment when contacted by Outsports.
But attorney Megan Kiefer did respond to the report in nola.com. She confirmed Saturday that Dunlap was terminated two days earlier. The report said Kiefer accused the station and its corporate owner, Entercom, of attempting “to pressure him to resign” in recent weeks. Kiefer said her client refused because he maintains his innocence.
“The action of Entercom wrongfully terminating Mr. Dunlap has compounded his damages,” Kiefer told nola.com
WWL and Entercom have not responded to requests for comment, but the station did remove Dunlap’s biography from its website.
Dunlap himself did not respond to a message from Outsports and has not tweeted since taking his leave of absence, but his Twitter account still lists him as hosting a program at WWL.
In late September, Entercom accused Dunlap of accessing WWL’s official Twitter account with his personal phone on Sept. 10, and sending a tweet that called him a fag. The company claims a forensic expert traced his IP address to that phone, following an alleged $1.8 million extortion attempt by Dunlap and his attorney. Kiefer told Outsports at that time there was no such demand, and she and her client were in talks with WWL and Entercom about a settlement. Dunlap has denied sending the tweet and took a lie detector test, which Kiefer said he passed.
As nola.com reported, New Orleans police continue to investigate the station’s allegations of extortion by Dunlap. Last month, detectives obtained a warrant for information from T-Mobile, the phone they suspect was used to send the tweet.