Since the day she came out publicly, trans MMA fighter Fallon Fox has been the focal point of a debate about the role of trans athletes in the sport. On the one side are people who focus on opening opportunities in sports for trans people. On the other side are those who feel trans women are a danger to the safety of her competitors and competitive fairness of the sport.
That debate has included a lot of yelling and misinformation. People on both sides of the issue are passionate. When you're talking about civil rights, equality and safety, tempers flare, mine included.
This Wednesday, Aug. 24, at 3pmET, we'll break through the raised voices and have a reasonable, thoughtful conversation about the future of Fallon Fox and other trans fighters in MMA. The discussion will include:
- Cyd Zeigler, Outsports.com co-founder, who will lead and moderate the conversation.
- Nate Wilcox, editor of respected MMA blog Bloody Elbow.
- Kye Allums, trans athlete and activist.
Join us here on Wednesday at 3pmET for the conversation.
More from Outsports:
- Out-Fit Mud Run raises money for LGBT charities
- Robbie Rogers misses game with leg injury
- How gay is your favorite NFL franchise?
- Brittney Griner has WNBA's top-selling jersey
- Gay sports news: Britney Griner rises above bullying; porn stars follow Kluwe; gay speedskater One Direction Fan
- Podcast: Jason Collins not signed yet, MLB issues clear gay policy
- Outsports photos of the week