The New Jersey Devils will host their third annual Pride Night when the team hosts the Colorado Avalanche on Jan. 4.
The evening will focus on highlighting some of the people and voices in the LGBTQ community working to build acceptance and equality. Part of that will be a panel discussion ahead of the game focusing on the stories of people in and around sports. The panel will include:
- Moderator Meghan Duggan, U.S. Women’s Olympic Ice Hockey Team Captain and Gold Medalist;
- Centenary University wrestler Alec Donovan;
- Former Bloomfield College soccer player Arman Bashiri;
- High school athletic director and basketball coach Anthony Nicodemo.
A ticket for the Pride Night includes admission to the panel discussion.
The team will also recognize and honor various LGBTQ leaders in the community, including:
- Max DeFrancesco, the long-time Devils National Anthem guest singer, will sing the Star-Spangled Banner;
- Newark Gay Pride will act as Honor Guard;
- Backward Flag Brewery owner Torie Fisher will be honored as Hero of the Game.
Tickets to the Pride Night also include a Devils Pride T-shirt. Players with the Devils will have Pride Tape on their sticks for warm-ups, and those sticks will be auctioned online to raise money for You Can Play and Garden State Equality.
The Devils have demonstrated an inclusive environment in and around the team. Joe Altenau, a Devils and Prudential Center employee, came out publicly with the support of the team three years ago and continues to help guide the team on LGBTQ issues. Last year one of the team’s players, Kurtis Gabriel, used Pride Tape on his stick throughout the season with the support of the team.
If you’d like to join the Devils at their Pride Night on Jan. 4, you can get tickets here. Outsports is a partner for the event.