The World Series starts today between the St. Louis Cardinals and Boston Red Sox, and if there is a patron saint of this series, it's Yogi Bear, not Yogi Berra. Facial hair will be front and center on both teams, with the Red Sox sporting the wilder beards.
"The Red Sox have the bigger, fuller -- I'm not going to say outlandish -- but their beards are a little gaudier than ours," St. Louis infielder Daniel Descalso told ESPN. "There are a lot of guys on our team that have been sporting beards all year, just not as scruffy as theirs."
For a lot of the Red Sox, they started growing their beards in spring training, so they have a leg up. I prefer the neater beards of the Cardinals, but to each his own.
Photos by Rick Osentoski, Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY Sports and Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports
More from Outsports:
- Colorado high school sports association aims to end bullying and homophobia, partners with You Can Play
- Education, not punishment, for Mississippi students who disrupted Matthew Shepard play
- Focusing on teamwork, on and off the court
- UFC, Las Vegas gay center team up for HIV awarness campaign
- Dieux Du Stade 2014 calendar features rugby players and their friends
- Podcast: Gay Bowl XIII, Portland teams support marriage, Fallon Fox's fight
- Outsports photos of the week
- Nike donates $200k to LGBT Sports Coalition
- Former Baltimore Raven Matt Birk gets model body in retirement
- NFL's Thursday Night Football crew to wear purple for Spirit Day