For National Coming Out Day, we want to celebrate those out athletes and coaches who have inspired others to be their true selves simply by being out and proud.
Outsports’ tagline is “Courage Is Contagious,” and it’s something we have seen across sports in our almost two decades of writing about gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans and queer people in sports. Everyone seems to have a story that helped them accept themselves and gave them the courage to share their story.
It’s the domino effect, one story leading to another.
On National Coming Out Day, Oct. 11, we are highlighting those who have come before us and inspire us. Tweet at us with #CourageIsContagious for National Coming Out Day, and we’ll share the names and stories of the out athletes and coaches who inspired you.
Many people who have come out on Outsports have shared their inspirations for coming out:
- Soccer player Michael Martin was inspired by Robbie Rogers
- Football player Conner Mertens gave an award last week to one of his inspirations, Jason Collins
- Swimmer Lauren Neidigh has focused on inspiring others
- College volleyball player Nathan Matthews found inspiration in other athletes
- Golfer Matt Dils was inspired by many young athletes his age
- Tennis reporter Nick McCarvel found inspiration in various out tennis players
- Rugby player Nick Nasser was inspired to come out by his own boyfriend
Some athletes have also weighed in on social media this week with their inspirations for coming out:
.. @AmeMauresmo— Sophie drx (@sophiedrx) October 10, 2018
Did my first CO a few hours after the '99 Australian Open... Had one of the worst night of my life after her loss, sick to my stomach, that i knew i'd really have to lift this weight of my shoulders if i wanted to breathe again. https://t.co/V4vDcKwNwq
@Hbrowne24 inspired me to come out to my teachers at school.— Deren Lee (@actual_lee96) October 11, 2018
You can find us on Twitter @outsports.